- How Do You Know Your PAN Number and PAN Card Status?
- How you can know your PAN by Name?
- How you can know PAN Number using Income Tax Portal?
- Ways-How can you check PAN Status?
- When can you check your PAN status?
- What do you need to check PAN status?
- Who should track PAN status?
- Is it possible to track PAN Card Status by Name?
- Check PAN Transaction Status
- Why Do You Need a PAN Card?
- PAN Card Application Process
- What Documents do you need to apply for a PAN card?
- Things to Keep in Mind when applying for PAN Card
- Forms to Apply for PAN Card
How Do You Know Your PAN Number and PAN Card Status?
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is an alpha-numeric and unique identification account number which consists of 10 characters issued under the Income Tax Act, 1961 Section 139 by the Income Tax Department. The PAN Card is an important document to track taxable monetary transactions by anyone or any company. Foreign nationals and taxable companies can hold a valid PAN in India. It is an essential document for several purposes like selling and buying tangible assets, filing IT returns, and opening an account in a bank.
You can quickly know your PAN at the e-filing portal of the I-T Department. The portal also provides a PAN verification service to track fake PAN numbers. Read on to learn how to know your PAN number.
How you can know your PAN by Name?
PAN card holders simply need to enter their name and date of birth to know their PAN. Here are the steps to know your PAN no with this method –
Currently, there is no direct method to know your PAN card by name and DOB. But you can verify your PAN and enter your name and Date of Birth to check the details on your PAN Card. Here’s how to do that –
- Visit the official e-filing portal of the I-T Department https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Click “Verify Your PAN Details” under the “Quick Links” section
- It will ask your Full Name, PAN, DOB, and status (Individual, Association, Company, Trust, Firm, etc.)
- Enter the required details and verify with CAPTCHA code
- Click Submit
- It will show you a message “Your PAN is Active and details matched with the database”
- If your PAN number is incorrect, it will show you this message “No record found for the given PAN”
Note – The Income Tax Department has discontinued “Know Your PAN” service. Now, you will find “Verify your PAN Details” service instead.
How you can know PAN Number using Income Tax Portal?
Here are the steps to know your PAN Card using the official Income Tax portal:
- Visit the official Income tax website https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- If you are a new user, click on the green “Register Yourself” button. If you are already a registered user, click on the “Login Here” green button.
- Select User Type (Individual, HUF, Company, Firm, Trust, etc.) and press the “Continue” button
- Enter basic details like PAN, Surname, Middle Name, First Name, Residential Status, and DOB and click “Continue” to proceed to the next step
- Complete the registration form and verify the details to click “Submit”
- You will get an activation link to your email. Click on the same to verify your account and activate
- Login on the e-filing portal
- Select “My Account” under “Profile Settings”. You will see these “PAN Details”
- Name of Assessee
- PAN number
- Date of Birth
Ways-How can you check PAN Status?
Once you’ve filed your application, wait for at least 15 days to get a PAN card. You will also have an acknowledgement number of 15 digits that you can use to track your PAN card online until you get the delivery of your PAN card. Here are the ways to know your PAN card status:
Track PAN Status through SMS
- To track PAN card status through SMS, Type “NSDLPAN” and acknowledgement number
- Send it to 57575
- Wait for the response with your current PAN card status
Track PAN Status via Phone Call
It is another method to track PAN status. Dial 020-27218080 (TIN call center number) and provide your application acknowledgment number to know your existing PAN card status.
Track PAN Status via the official website
You can also know your PAN card status online via the official TIN-NSDL portal. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the official PAN card website TIN-NSDL (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/guided/guide-pan-introduction.html)
- Go to Guided Tour > PAN Application > Status Track
- Click on “Track Status of your PAN/TAN application online” link
- It will redirect you to a new page. Select the type of your application from the drop-down menu, i.e., “PAN – New/Change Request”
- Type the 15-digit numeric Acknowledgement number
- Enter “CAPTCHA” and verify your application status
- Hit the “Submit” button and check your PAN status on display
When can you check your PAN status?
You can check PAN status only after five working days from the generation of the UTI coupon (10 digits) or acknowledgement number (15 digits).
What do you need to check PAN status?
You will need two essential numbers to check your PAN application status online:
- Coupon Number, when applied through UTI.
- Know your PAN NSDL using the Acknowledgement number.
Who should track PAN status?
A PAN applicant can easily track their PAN card status after applying for a PAN card using their acknowledgement number having 15 numeric digits. This number is very important to track PAN on a PAN status website.
Is it possible to track PAN Card Status by Name?
You need to provide your full name and Date of Birth to track your PAN status by name.
Check PAN Transaction Status
The Income Tax Department has provided a lot of facilities for PAN card applicants. You can make payment through DD, internet banking, or debit/credit card. Only those people who have made payment through internet banking or debit/credit card track the transaction status online.
Why Do You Need a PAN Card?
All the citizens of India must have a PAN card as it is mandatory for different purposes. Here are some of the uses of PAN card:
- A PAN card is mandatory to pay direct taxes
- When it comes to starting a new business, PAN details are required for registration
- Taxpayers also need to provide PAN card details for making income tax payments
PAN Card details are also required for making financial transactions, such as purchase or sale of a vehicle, buying or selling a property, and other purposes like:
- Remitting money globally
- NRE to NRO fund transfer
- Dealing with an immovable property that is worth more than Rs. 5 Lakh
- Buying shares that are worth more than Rs. 50,000
- Buying/Selling vehicle
- Buying mutual fund schemes
- Paying a bill in a restaurant or hotel above Rs. 25,000
- Depositing up to Rs. 50,000
- You can also use a PAN card as ID proof
- It is used to track tax payments
- PAN number is also required for services like telephone and internet
- A taxpayer can track various financial transactions
PAN Card Application Process
Every taxpayer should have a PAN card in India. Even rural areas of the country have several agencies and centres. This way, taxpayers can easily apply and get a PAN card. The process for applying for a PAN card is very simple, both online and offline. You need to visit the NSDL or official PAN card website to apply for a PAN card online. Or you may visit the PAN card centre or agency to apply for a PAN card offline. You need to fill the Form 49A and submit it, whether you apply online or offline.
What Documents do you need to apply for a PAN card?
To apply for a PAN card successfully, you will need to submit some supporting documents to NSDL agencies with form 49A, such as:
- ID proof
- Address proof
- Birth Certificate
Things to Keep in Mind when applying for PAN Card
The PAN card application process is trouble-free and simple. But you need to do it carefully because even a single mistake can cause a lot of trouble. You should keep some pointers in mind to complete the process, such as –
- Details you enter in the PAN card application form should match with the details given in the documents you provide like address proof and identity proof.
- Attest the thumb impression from the Notary or Magistrate before submitting an application form to avoid being disqualified for a PAN card.
- You need to provide a complete address in the form along with contact info. These details should be complete and accurate.
- The application form shouldn’t have any overwriting or correction.
- Fill the form 49A in capital letters.
- Don’t use initials in the first name and last name columns.
- You cannot apply for a new PAN card if you lose it.
Forms to Apply for PAN Card
Here are the application forms available for applicants to apply for PAN card:
- Form 49AA – Indian nationals living outside India but paying taxes here should apply for a PAN card using this form.
- Form 49A – This application form is filled by all Indian citizens, firms, companies, trusts, minors, NGOs, students, and other entities.
- Form 60 – You need to fill this form if you are under 60 years old and don’t have a PAN card.
- Form 61 – You need to fill this form for not having a PAN card and if you are above 60 years old.
Frequently Asked Question
Visit the official TIN-NSDL, e-filing website of the Income Tax department, or UTIITSL portal to know the PAN number.
Yes, there is no charge to track PAN card application status.
You can check PAN card status online through the UTIISL website (http://www.trackPAN.utiitsl.com/PANONLINE/#forward) or TIN-NSDL website (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/PANtan/StatusTrack.html)
No, you cannot get such a facility.
Yes, it is mandatory to provide your PAN card number while filing Income Tax Return. Failing in doing this will attract a penalty of up to Rs. 10,000.
You can dispatch your application form for PAN card to this address:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016