Why PAN Card for NRI?
Most population of Indians migrated to several parts of the world over the past century, especially for their livelihood and education. These days, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) live in almost every part of the world, helping to boost the global economy and improving their skills. NRIs who wish to earn rental income in India and who wish to invest in stocks in the country should have an NRI PAN card.
Documents Required for NRI PAN Card
Deserving applicants have to submit these documents for NRI Pan Application –
- 2 recent photographs of passport size
- Address proof for overseas residence like bank statement
- Copy of passport
How to Apply For Pan Card as an NRI?
The whole non-residents PAN application process has been made easier and simpler by the Income Tax Department, saving precious time of eligible NRIs in paperwork. Here are few of the easy steps of PAN card application for NRI :-
- Go to official UTIITSL or TIN-NSDL website to apply PAN card online.
- NRIs have to use Form 49A to provide their important information.
- You have to submit the form with other important documents like address proof, passport-size photographs, proof of age, and overseas ID proof
- To apply for PAN card for NRI in India, you need to pay a fee equals to Rs. 107 or Rs. 989 when delivery/communication address is overseas.
- You will get an acknowledgment number to track the status of PAN Card application for foreign nationals.
How NRI can apply for PAN Card?
- Visit the official TIN-NDSL website and select the tab of online PAN card application for NRI.
- You will see two options, out of which you need to select “Form 49A”.
- It will open the instructions you need to read and follow.
- Select applicant type at the bottom from drop-down menu.
- You will see an online form to open new tab. Fill the required details as per the instructions.
- Review the information after filling the form.
- If DSC signature is available, upload the required documents.
- Click “Submit”.
- It will open a payment gateway to pay using credit card. You need to pay processing fee.
- DD and cheque are other payment options from a bank in India.
- An acknowledgement will be auto-generated and displayed on screen. Print it and paste two photos in the given space. Sign in the given spaces and attach documents if those copies are not uploaded.
- Attach the DD or cheque if you haven’t paid through credit card or net banking, and post acknowledgement and other paperwork to the printed address.
- You will get the PAN card to the given address on the form within 21 business days from receiving acknowledgement.
How to Pay PAN Card Fee?
You have to pay the registration fee of Rs. 110 if your communication address is in India. You can pay through debit card, credit card, DD, or net banking. You have to pay registration fee of Rs. 1020 if communication address is overseas. You can pay by demand draft or through credit or debit card. Demand draft must be drawn for NSDL-PAN payable in Mumbai. Currently, foreign credit cards are not working for payments.
PAN Card Office Address
Tax Information Network (TIN) TDS/PAN Call Center managed by NSDL office address –
4th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997 /8,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016
Contact – 020 – 27218080
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
NSDL TIN H.O. address
1st Floor, Kamala Mills Compound,
Senapati Bapat Marg,
PIN – 400013.
PAN Application Do’s and Don’ts
- Fill all the details in block letters with black ink only in the NRI PAN Card application form.
- Keep the signature under the box and make sure not to get it through the applicant’s face.
- Identity and address proof must be correct.
- AO code must be correct.
- Identity proof must have details similar to the details mentioned on your address proof, especially your name.
- Address and ID proof of legal representative should be provided if a minor is an applicant.
- Don’t make corrections or overwrite in the form. Fill every detail carefully.
- Don’t pin or staple the photo. Use the right adhesive to paste your photo to the given space.
- Don’t write place or date under the signature.
- Don’t mention your husband’s name in “Father’s name” column
- Don’t apply for a PAN card if you already have it.
Should an NRI have a PAN Card?
An NRI is basically an Indian citizen who has immigrated or moved to a foreign country on a temporary basis for a limited time. Hence, they are still Indians by nationality. They have Indian passport and education and employment are their main reasons for immigration. There are around 3 crore NRIs worldwide.
If you ask whether every NRI should have a PAN card, it is not mandatory. Only NRIs earning from India need a PAN card in the form of dividends from shares, rent, mutual funds, etc. for filing income tax. If you are an NRI and you don’t have any source of income from India, you don’t need a PAN card. However, a PAN card by an NRI must be applied for future use.
What are the benefits for NRIs for having a PAN card?
A PAN card serves various purposes as an important identity proof in India, such as:-
- NRIs need PAN card to invest in mutual funds or securities
- All taxpayers should have a PAN card as it makes the tax payment easier.
- PAN card is needed if you buy a vehicle or property in India.
- You need a PAN card to deposit funds up to a given limit.
- KYC procedures can also be made easier in several banks in India if you have a PAN card.
How long does it take to get a PAN for an NRI?
You may expect around 20-25 days to get a PAN card after paying the NRI PAN Card fees and submitting all necessary documents. You will get your PAN card dispatched to the communication address given in the application.
- Keep in mind that NSDL delivers the PAN to your residence nation if you mention an overseas address. Currently, the NSDL can post PAN cards to 99 nations.
- Make sure the NSDL office receives the acknowledgment within 15 days from filing the form online.
- NRIs have to pay Rs. 107 for a PAN card in Indian address and Rs. 989 for PAN card in the overseas address.
- When applying for PAN card, foreigners should use Form 49AA.