What is Online PAN Card Verification?
You can easily verify PAN online as this process is pretty straightforward. But only individual bodies are permitted for online PAN verification. Along with the applicant, someone else can also do PAN card verification online with mandatory documents required.
The UTI Infrastructure Technology & Services Ltd or NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited conducts NSDL PAN Verification online. It is mandatory to fill the PAN verification form online as it is not available offline.
In how many ways you can verify your PAN Card?
You can verify PAN card online in three different ways, such as –
- API-based PAN verification – With this mode, applicants can verify PAN with a software program at a PAN verification site.
- PAN Verification in NSDL format – NSDL e-Governance has defined a structure to upload a file with up to 1000 PAN cards by logging into an account. The site provides all the essential PAN details in 24 hours after submitting and uploading the file. The user will get a rejection message if the file format is wrong.
- On-screen verification – After a successful login, the user will be provided with some PANs that they need to furnish up to five PANs.
Who is Eligible for PAN Verification?
As discussed, PAN verification is allowed to only certain entities. Here are the eligible entities for PAN card verification –
- Commercial Taxes department
- GST networks
- Income Tax bodies
- State and Central Government bodies
- Commodity Exchange
- Stock Exchange
- Clearing Corporations
- Mutual Funds
- Credit Card providers
- Insurance agencies
- Insurance Repository
- Schools, Colleges, and other educational institutions established by Regulatory Bodies
- Companies where Annual Information Return should be furnished
- Entities that require Annual Information Return
- RBI-approved non-banking financial organizations
What details are needed for PAN Card Verification?
- The following details are requested about an organization:
- Name of the organizational body
- PAN and TAN
- Personal details
- Contact details
- The following payment details are required about the entity:
- Mode of payment
- Instrument count
- Following details are required for Digital Signature Certificate (DSC):
- Name of certifying authority
- Class and serial number of the DSC
Online PAN Verification by PAN No
Here are the steps for online PAN verification by PAN number through online mode:
- Visit Income Tax e-Filing portal for PAN verification by PAN No – https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Under the Quick Links, go to “Verify your PAN Details”
- Enter the “PAN Number” on the new PAN number verification page
- Fill in other necessary details like date of birth, full name, etc.
- Choose status
- Verify with “Captcha Code”
- Click “Submit”, and you are good to go
How to Verify PAN by Name and DOB?
Here are the steps for PAN verification by name and DOB:
- Visit the official Income Tax eFiling portal for PAN No verification – https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home or directly go through this link – https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/VerifyYourPanDeatils.html?lang=eng
- To verify your PAN, fill in the following details correctly –
- Full Name
- Date of Birth (in this format – DD/MM/YYYY)
- Status (as applicable from the drop-down menu)
- Verify by entering “Captcha Code” from the image given
- Click “Submit”
How to Verify a PAN Card by Aadhar?
Here’s what you need to do to verify PAN details with Aadhaar:
- Visit the official Income Tax eFiling portal.
- Under “Quick Links”, go to “Link Aadhar”
- Select “Click Here” on the new page to check your PAN-Aadhaar Link status
- It will take you to another page to verify PAN No.
- Enter your Aadhaar and PAN no.
- Click “View Link Aadhaar status”
- You can check your PAN Aadhar link verification status online
How to verify your applicability under section 194N?
Section 194N is the new section launched under the Income Tax Act from the Income Tax Department to further promote a cashless economy and minimize cash transactions. Any payment above Rs. 1 Cr through cash during the fiscal year attracts 2% TDS. Here are the steps to verify your applicability under section 194N –
- Go to the official Income Tax eFiling portal – http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Click “Verification of Applicability u/s 194N” under “Quick Links”
- It will take you to this page – https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/ViewReturnStatusLink.html?lang=eng
- Here, you can enter your mobile number and PAN number
- Check the declaration and click “Continue”.
- You will get an OTP on your mobile number for verification.
- After entering OTP, click “Submit”
- Now you will see the verification of applicability.
- Keep in mind that you need to have your registered mobile number active to complete this process.
How to use an Aadhaar card to e-Verify Return?
After filing the income tax return successfully, you have to verify your income tax return online. Without finishing this process, your return will not be verified by the Income Tax Department. Aadhaar Card can be used to e-Verify returns. Without further ado, here are the steps:
- Visit the official Income Tax eFiling portal
- Use your email ID and password to log in
- Click “eVerify Return”
- Select “I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-verify my return”
- Check your phone and enter the 6-digit OTP, which is sent to your registered number.
- Click “Submit” to continue.
- Keep in mind that you must have linked your mobile number to Aadhaar in the UIDAI portal and your PAN should be registered with Aadhaar.
How to Register a Complaint to report any Aadhaar Service malpractice online?
Before discussing the steps, let’s find out what malpractices you can report online. You can report any Aadhar service malpractice related to –
- Aadhaar card not generated (with 14-digit Enrolment ID)
- Enrolment Agencies and Operator (you may or may not use Enrolment ID)
You can send an email to UIDAI helpdesk, i.e. email@example.com, or dial 1947 (official toll-free number) to register other complaints. Here are the steps to register a malpractice complaint online related to Aadhar service –
- Refer to this official UIDAI link – https://resident.uidai.gov.in/file-complaint
- Enter the date and time and Enrolment ID (EID)
- Enter personal details as mentioned on your Aadhaar, such as full name, email address, mobile number, Town/Village/City, PIN code
- Select the complaint type – Enrolment Agency/Operator
- Select the applicable category
- Enter your complaint on the box given.
- Verify with “Captcha code”
- Click Submit.
- You will successfully submit your file and get a notification on your registered email and mobile number.
To enable online PAN card number verification for entities, this service has been started by the Income Tax Department. There are three types of services available to verify PAN numbers.
Here are the three types of verification facilities available:
- API (Software) based verification
- Screen PAN verification
- Screen and File-based PAN verification
Online PAN verification is available to the following entities:
- Investment bankers approved by SEBI
- Non-banking financial institutions approved by RBI
- Online Insurance Aggregators
- Insurance Repositories
- Insurance companies
- Mutual Funds
- Government deductor and companies (for filing TCS/TDS returns)
- Credit card institutions
- Participants for depository
- Authorities issuing DSC
- Reserve Bank of India
- RBI-approved credit information bureaus
- Central KYC Registry or KRA (KYC Registration Agency)
- Companies (to submit SFT (Statement of Financial Transaction) or AIR (Annual Information Return))
- Regulated educational organizations
- Agencies recognized by state/central government
- Stock/Commodity Exchanges
- Payments bank approved by RBI
Refer to eGov NSDL website to avail PAN verification online. Enter the details regarding payment mode, organization name, and Digital Signature Certificate. Otherwise, you can also mail the required details and documents to this address:
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited
Online PAN Verification Team
1st floor, Times Tower
Kamala Mill Compound
Senapati Bapat Marg
Mumbai – 400 013
It depends on the Income Tax Department itself as the required timeline is at its sole discretion.
Yes, the Income Tax Department will refund your application fees if it is rejected.
No, online registration is the only medium to apply for a PAN verification facility.
You can use an online PAN verification facility for one year and renew the same every year. To renew this service, you have to pay Rs. 12000 (plus GST).
Am I eligible for a refund after approval, but I no longer want to use this facility because of any reason?
No, once the Income Tax Department approves your application, you are not entitled to any refund.
|Particulars||Screen-based verification (INR)||File & Screen-based Verification (INR)||API based verification (INR)|
|Advance (including GST)||NA||When needed||When needed|
|Per-day charges for verification for free PANs (subject to change as per the PAN cards verified in a financial year)||Maximum 750||
|Charges excluding verification of free PANs (plus GST)||NA||Charges applicable according to Table 1 above 750|
Table 1 – File-based verification charges:
|No. of PANs in your file||Charges (INR)|
|Slab 1||Slab 2||Slab 3||Slab 4|
Here are the documents required to verify PAN online:
- Terms & Conditions printed on the letterhead of your company
- Authorization letter to be furnished on the official letterhead of your company
- Copy of entity’s PAN card (with two copies of PAN card signed and stamped by authorized signatory)
- Certificate of Incorporation (including two signed and stamped copies by authorized signatory)
- Declaration from entities (two signed and stamped copies from an approved entity)
- Copy of certificate or license issued by a regulatory body (when applicable, along with two signed and stamped copy from the approved entity)
- Applicable charges to be paid as cheque or DD issued for “NSDL-TIN”
Listed here are the PANs for verification along with the details to be provided:
Valid PAN Number
- PAN Status
- Last date of PAN update
- Name of PAN holder
- Name mentioned on the PAN card
- Aadhaar Seeding status
Valid PAN in case of acquisition, merger, and other vents
- Name of PAN holder
- PAN status with event
- Last date of PAN update
- Name as given on the PAN card
- No other details to be shown. It will display one of these messages – “Marked as Deactivated” or “Deleted”
- It will display the message “Not found in ITD database”
- It will clearly display “Marked as Fake” status without any other details.
*If PAN is verified with the DCT, other fields like DOB and Father’s Name will be shown in return.
*For PANs to be applied for verification, it will display Aadhaar seeding status as “E” only.
*You will see the PAN cardholder name’s field as per the details given in the ITD database. If there is no name in the given field, the name is not found in the database.
No, online PAN verification facility allows only the following information to be seen:
- PAN holder’s name
- Name given on the card
- Last update date of PAN
- Status of the PAN, such as valid with the event, invalid, valid, deactivated, deleted, not found in ITD database, or fake.
Here, you need to furnish a request on your company’s letterhead with an authorized entity’s sign/stamp with the user ID to change the facility type in online verification of PAN card.
This way, you can send a written application on the company’s letterhead duly stamped/signed by the approved entity with your user ID. In addition, valid proof should also be submitted that your company’s name has been changed.
No, you cannot verify TAN with this facility yet.
No, this facility is not provided.
Is PAN verification online facility available for other purposes along with the ones mentioned during registration?
No, you can use this facility only for the limited purposes as given during registration.
Users who opt for this facility will get the following notifications via SMS and email:
- Verification of registration
- SMS/email regarding DSC update
- Information regarding User ID
- Notification in case registration has been rejected with the reason
- Information regarding insufficient balance via email in the account of PAN verification
- Information regarding the expiry date of DSC in advance
- Renewal option and a tax invoice to be sent via SMS and Email
- Advance amount added in the account of PAN verification with an invoice
- Due date for renewal of this facility to be notified at least 2 months in advance
You will get to know about the user ID on your email address which has been registered.
If you suspect any issue or you have any doubt about PAN verification, you may dial 022-24994182 (customer care number) or send your query at PANfirstname.lastname@example.org. You can also write a letter with your user ID or acknowledgement number and dispatch it to this address –
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited
Online PAN Verification Team
1st floor, Times Tower,
Kamala Mills Compound,
Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel (W)