What is Aadhaar Card?
The Aadhaar is a unique identity card issued by the government that is assigned to all Indian residents. All Aadhaar Cards will have a unique 12-digit random number which is issued by the UIDAI which records all the details of an individual related to biometric and demographic data. Individuals may voluntarily enroll to obtain an Aadhaar card for free of cost.
Aadhaar card carries the following information:
|Demographic Information||Name, Date of Birth or Age, Gender, Address, Mobile Number and Email ID (optional), EID- the Enrolment Number, Barcode|
|Biometric Information||Ten Fingerprints, Two Iris Scans, and Facial Photograph|
Information required during the Aadhaar enrollment process is given below:
|Demographic information required||Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Address. Parent/ Guardian details (required for minor), Contact Number, Email ID (optional), Photo ID and Address proof|
|Biometric information required||Ten Fingerprints, Iris scan, Photograph|
Who can apply for an Aadhaar Card?
- All Indian citizens are eligible to apply for an Aadhaar Card, and may voluntarily enroll to obtain it.
- If NRI or foreign national have stayed in the country for more than 182 days are permitted to apply for Aadhaar card.
Application Process for an Aadhaar Card
To enroll for an Aadhaar Card you or your family member will be required to visit an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. There are over 10,000 post offices and bank branches authorized by UIDAI for Aadhaar Enrolment.
Applicants can follow these steps to enroll for an Aadhaar Card.
- Locate the nearest Aadhaar enrollment center
- Fill in the enrollment form
- Getting bio metric data captured and submit proof of Identity & address
- Collect acknowledgment slip with Enrollment ID
If the applicant does not have these required documents.
- Head of Family can submit their documents for proving his/her relationship to the applicant.
- If the applicant has no valid document, then the Registrar can appoint an introducer to assist in the enrollment process.
Checking Aadhaar status online?
Applicants who enrolled for Aadhaar and collected their enrollment ID can also track the status of their Aadhaar Card through the UIDAI website. Visit UIDAI website, click on check on Aadhaar status and then you need to mention your enrollment ID, which is in the
acknowledgement slip issued at the time of Aadhaar enrollment.
How to download an Aadhaar Card?
UIDAI makes the Aadhaar more accessible to the individual, through the UIDAI website you can download an electronic copy known as the e-Aadhaar of your Aadhaar Card which will be in a password-protected PDF format.
The e-Aadhaar can be downloaded by using the following:
- Aadhaar Number
- Virtual ID (VID)
- Enrolment ID (EID)
How to update your Aadhaar Card details?
An Aadhaar Card contains vital information of an individual and if you have recently changed your name, mobile number, address, etc or your child just turned 5 or 15, and you need to update your Aadhaar Card. There are two modes of updating the Aadhaar Card UIDAI portal or through the Aadhaar Enrolment center.
Through the UIDAI portal currently, you can only make corrections to your address.
Do the following process:
- To update a new address enter Aadhaar details
- Verify OTP
- Select the option to update a new address
- Fill the new address and submit the original document to verify your new address
Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
In the Aadhaar Enrolment center, you can update all the information related to name, address, mobile no, etc.
- Go to the nearest Update Centre with all the relevant documents to verify your details.
- Fill the Aadhaar Correction Form which needs to be updated
- Submit the form to the operator and verify the details
You have to pay Rs. 50/- (inclusive of taxes) to update your Aadhaar Card.
Details that can be updated
You can update both Demographic as well as Biometric Information in your Aadhaar Card.
Aadhaar Correction Form.
UIDAI has made available various services relating to Aadhaar, services are mentioned below:
- Verify Aadhaar Number: Through this applicant verify that his/her Aadhaar Card is activated or deactivated.
- Verify Email ID and Mobile Number: In this, you can verify your email address and mobile number that has been declared at the time of enrolment or during the latest Aadhaar detail update.
- Retrieve Lost or Forgotten EID/UID: If you forget or lost your UID/EID you can retrieve through submitting your details.
- Virtual ID (VID) Generator: If you want to protect your data and do not want to share your Aadhaar Number you can create a virtual id for KYC verification.
- Check Aadhaar/Bank Linking Status: In this, you can check all government subsidies and schemes linked to your Aadhaar.
- Lock/Unlock Biometrics: To maintain security, you can lock your biometric data.
- Aadhaar Authentication History: With this, you can check your authentication history which gives a list of Authorised User Agencies who have accessed the information.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN?
Steps to link Aadhaar Number with Pan.
- Open Income Tax e-filling Portal.
- In Quick Links select Link Aadhaar option.
- Enter your PAN Card number, Aadhaar Number and Name mentioned on the Aadhaar card following the captcha code.
- Then click the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
How to link Aadhaar with a SIM Card?
- Online Method: Visit the sim operator site, select the Aadhaar link option, submit your details like mobile number, Aadhaar number and verify with the OTP.
- Offline Method: Visit sim operator store along with a hard copy of Aadhaar Card verify your details and submit to the store executive.
- Interactive voice response (IVR) Method: Dial toll-free number 14546 follow the instruction and enter your Aadhaar details and provide some more details different in every telecom operator and verify with OTP.
What is E-KYC.?
E-KYC or Electronic Know Your Client, is the way of authenticating individuals electronically through a paperless Aadhaar-based process for fulfilling your KYC requirements which can be used by many organizations nowadays like Banks, Demat Account and to start investing in mutual funds, etc. The residents are not required to submit any document, all verification is done electronically which is valid as a self-attested copy.
mAadhaar is an official mobile application developed by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It lets you access all your Aadhaar details on your smartphone.
mAadhaar app is available to all operating systems.
Features of the m-Aadhaar app:
- You can do eKYC for your financial transactions
- You can share your data in the form of QR codes, barcodes, etc
- Through this app, you will get Time-based One Time Password not SMS OTP
- You can easily Lock and Unlock your Biometric Information
- You can download your Aadhaar Card at any timeṣ